BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, April 23, 2009

The Taliban are coming. Har dee har har

Like most denizens of Desiland, I too, am concerned about this all this Taliban hullabaloo. The ostrich inside me really hopes it's all an MQM propoganda, but by the looks of it, us people in Desiland need to wake up and smell the coffee! Its really so sad to see my beloved Desiland fall into such hands. Will we suffer the same fate as Afghanistan?

A lot of humourous views pertaining to the rise of the Taliban are being heard: the classic one being about how soon women will be wearing a shuttlecock burkas (out goes the capris Im guessing) and men high shalwars.

I came across this article today which discusses two mind boggling issues: the Taliban and time zones. lol.


Pakistan planning to have multiple time zones
By: Bangalore
Islamabad : Pakistan


Pakistan is planning to have multiple time zones to cater to this need raised by several sections of society there. An announcement to this effect was made by Interior minister Ghulam Sher Khan in Islamabad on Wednesday.

“Each time zone will be name after a terrorist who could be found in that an area on that longitude. For example, a time zone based on Longitude: 67° 02 will be called Dawood Standard Time, while the one based on 71 21' will be called Osama standard time,” Khan said. Pakistan has said that this will be its way of honoring the great terrorists who have placed the country firmly on the international map and has attracted global condemnation.

When reminded of Pakistan’s pledge in the so called war on terror, Khan claimed that this was his country’s way of giving clues to the US. “What can we do if they don’t come down and bomb these places back to stone age? I mean anyway half of our nation is already half of our country is in stone age, so what difference will that make,” he asked.

Taliban Premier League
Taliban, the rulers-in-waiting in Pakistan have announced that they will be holding a series of T-20 matches across the country to encourage camaraderie among their cadres. The matches will be held between teams drawn in from cities currently ruled by Taliban. The tentative list of teams is as follows:

* Peshwar Donkey Riders
* Bajaur Teen Whippers
* Malakand Lunatics
* Mardan Moth Eaters
* Quetta Stone Agers
* Multan Neanderthals
* Mingora Dark Agers

10 comments:

gh said...

Although it's highly unlikely for Taliban to take control of the whole country at this stage but initially they would be in a position to sign another peace deal for the imposition of Sharia Law everywhere. Those humorous classics would soon be a reality.

Keep your passport handy, i see your career in imminent danger.

EJ said...

The conspiracy theories just might become reality unfortunately. Perhaps it was a case of the MQM crying wolf? Who knows. The optimist in me hopes that this is all just a really bad nightmare.

Desi Lawyer said...

gh: Unbelievable that it may come to this. It would certainly be a very sad, sad day in the history of Pakistan. Mr Jinnah must be rolling over in his grave.

EJ: I hear you! Hope its a really bad nightmare too.

Tazeen said...

its no propaganda, it is actually happening. I have been a victim of harassment - taliban style and there are many others who have faced this.
It is a real and present danger

Desi Lawyer said...

Tazeen: I believe you! I know a lot of people who have gone through some really strange incidents-Taliban style!

vincent said...

hello!!!Desi and Tazeen:
what does in your worried region many without European, even those who are not anti-Islam.
But I, what saddens me it is that no modern Muslim, living in the western world does not dare to criticize the hard-line Islamists. Which(who) of you, is going to shout "STOP" the first one in this invasion of medieval monk?

Desi Lawyer said...

Hi Vince,

Thanks for coming by on my blog! I agree... we need everyone across the world to condemn the Taliban.

Majaz said...

My God, if only people could see what a threat this is really turning out to be.

Spiritual Sherpa said...

Dear DL.. it would have been great if you could have provbided the source for this piece..

Lemme do the honors:
http://karmicsoliloquy.blogspot.com/2009/04/pak-planning-multiple-time-zones.html

Desi Lawyer said...

Prayukth: Thanks for listing the reference. However, my source was a pop up window that appears each time I use a particular proxy server. I could hardly reference the piece as "the pop-up window". Please note that I have provided the name of the author as it appeared in the article and I have made it quite clear that the article is not my own work.

p.s. This is a blog and not some academic journal and (as long as I provide due credit) I hardly think I have to provide exact links for everything that I post up here.